Americans know that we should eat more fruits and vegetables but that does not mean that we do. Eating fruits and vegetables at least three times a day can lower a person?s risk for stroke and other cardiovascular disease but almost 90% of American adults do not get enough of either. Adding classic salsa to meals can be a great way to add flavor and get more fruits and vegetables into your diet. There are many kinds of salsa dips to try so if you do not like one, try another!
Ways to Use Salsa:
- Classic salsa always works with chips. Of course, everyone knows how great classic salsa is with chips. If you want to make a really great dip, try mixing equal parts salsa with refried beans and cheese. Heat until the cheese is all melted and serve. Another great addition to this is any of the many guacamole dips. Also, adding avocado to your diet is a great way to naturally lower your cholesterol. Fresh guacamole dips and fresh salsa dips add fun and flavor to any party and have the added benefit of being very healthy options.
- Make Mexican omelettes. Beat up some eggs, add classic salsa to taste. Cook over medium to high heat. You can add low fat cheese and serve with avocado.
- Saute salmon with salsa. Saute some onions and other vegetables such as zucchini, squash mushrooms and spinach. Add in salmon, it can be either fresh or frozen and classic salsa. Cook until the salmon is flaky. Serve over rice or wrapped up in tortillas.
- Substitute classic salsa in pasta dishes. Anywhere you use marinara or other red sauce, either substitute salsa or make a combination of salsa and red sauce. This is really good when making eggplant or chicken parmesan, lasagne or any dish that you cook and then bake.
- Spice up your baked potatoes with classic salsa. Mix plain yogurt with salsa to make a creamy dressing and use that on your baked potatoes. This will give them a great flavor without adding all the fat and calories in sour cream.
- Add salsa to your meat loaf. Meat loaf is a classic. Add salsa to the mixture and you are adding flavor and fun to a family stand by. This is a nice way to add vegetables to your family’s diet without making a big deal out of getting them in there.
- Make salsa pizza. You can buy uncooked dough at most pizza places or get it at your grocery store. You can also use biscuit or crescent rolls for the dough. Rather than pizza sauce, try salsa. You can either make your pizza a Mexican one with cheddar or a Mexican mix or use mozzarella. Either way you try it, the result is always tasty and fun.
As you can see, there are a lot of ways to spice up your meals with salsa. These are just a few and you are really only limited by what you like to eat and your own imagination. Salsa comes in a large variety of styles and tastes. If you really like super spicy, you can get salsa with habanero peppers. You do not have to go that route though and can gave a great salsa dish with ultra mild salsa.
Adding salsa to your diet is good for a number of reasons. It it made of low-fat but high flavor items such as tomatoes, onions and peppers. If you like hot foods, eating hotter salsa can help you lose weight because peppers will both jump start your metabolism but also make you feel full sooner. Nutrition experts recommend people eat foods that are more colorful and salsa is definitely that.
You can also get a wide variety of salsa dips. It often has corn, beans and different kinds of peppers. It can have garlic, roasted tomatoes and red and white onions. If you and your family do not like one kind, there is bound to be another that you will enjoy. Adding salsa to the recipes you make all the time is just one way to add fun and flavor to your meal times.